Sunday, September 15, 2013

The publishing world is changing and, of course, Amazon.com has been a major factor in the way people decide what they want to read, how they purchase books, and what formats they choose i.e. whether they read an actual book, an e-reader book, or an audio book.
My good friend and editor, Jim, sent me an interesting article written by Marie Force, https://marieforce.com/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/149-the-readers-sound-off, who is a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Contemporary Romance Author. I found it an interesting read, but was surprised that audio books aren't more popular. I love to read, but seldom have time to sit down and read a book. On the other hand, I can listen to a book while I'm washing dishes, sweeping the floor, doing laundry, and with my portable CD player, I can listen to a book while I'm vacuuming the furniture or mowing the lawn. I often watch movies or Star Trek episodes while I'm walking on my treadmill, but occasionally, I'll listen to a book instead. I find listening to books to be very satisfying if the presentation is done well. Only once did I return an audio book after listening for only a few minutes. That was because the reader had a very clipped delivery and a pompous presentation that was totally contrary to Jane Eyre--to the story as well as to the character of Jane herself. She would not have spoken in a clipped manner, nor was she a pompous character. The "fit" was just uncomfortable for me.
As I type this, I'm getting help from Ezri, my Shepherd-mix companion. My right hand is gently rubbing her ears while I try to type with just my left hand. She wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment