Sunday, September 1, 2013

Every month, I write a note to two women I don't know and have never met. It's part of the Visiting Teaching program at our church. Writing to someone you don't know who never responds regardless of what you write is difficult. I usually pray about it. Today I wrote about a woman I knew several years ago who wrote a novel. She loved writing and she was a good writer and I expected that she would have some success with her manuscript. She belonged to a writer's group in a distant city and made the long drive once a month for their meetings. Finally, she asked the group's coordinator to read her manuscript and give her an honest opinion.
The coordinator told her it was a good book, but that her characters were too two-dimensional. My friend didn't know what that meant, but she didn't ask either. She put the book in a drawer and, to my knowledge, never did anything more with it.
Some years later, I looked up "two dimensional characters" in a Google search. It means that a character has no history, no back story. Main characters and recurring characters need to have a back story--everyone comes from somewhere.
The difference between success and failure isn't necessarily a lack of talent. This woman had a lot of talent, but one bump in the road and she put the manuscript away. Persistence and determination are necessary to accomplish anything in this life. Very few people are gifted with instant success. Success is achieved by studying, hard work, making mistakes and learning from them, and picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, and trying again.
Thomas Alva Edison made 10,000 light bulbs before he actually created one that worked. He was asked once if he didn't feel all those earlier light bulbs were a waste of time. He answered in so many words, "No, because I found 10,000 ways NOT to make a light bulb." His persistence and determination were extraordinary.
Hand in hand with persistence and determination is gratitude for every little success achieved. Little successes lead to bigger successes. Whatever you believe, thanking our Father in Heaven for our many blessings is a good thing to cultivate--not only with Heavenly Father, but also with our family members. An "Attitude of Gratitude" can change lives for the better, improve marriages and other relationships. Persistence, determination, and gratitude are the essential components to success in almost any endeavor. And then sometimes, it's just dumb luck!

5 comments:

  1. Good advice Deb..I think many of us have a hidden manuscript in our drawers...maybe it's not a written one, but some other attempt at success that we turned away from because we were not successful at first...I know you didn't do that and you are an example of forging ahead and doing what you love. I never discount "luck"...in surgery we always say that if you have a choice between skill and luck..take luck every time! My Father-in-law always said that the harder he worked, the luckier he got. Have a good Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too, Yaya! BTW, I'm running another contest for SEPtember for the best review of either of my books. The winner receives a free autographed copy of one of my books--their choice. If you're interested, just disguise your name so I won't know who you are to keep it fair. You can go back and edit it so it has your real name after the contest is over if you want to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS -- Yaya, I do have a drawer with some dreams that were cut short by discouragement. I think if the coordinator's comments had been more encouraging, maybe my friend would have stuck with it--but her history suggests otherwise. As for me, several of my friends gave me wonderful encouragement as I struggled through the rejection process. If it hadn't been for them (my friends) telling me the books are really good, I'm afraid I would have lost heart. On the other hand, I felt I had to get published or Connie was going to pounce on me! She wouldn't have let me quit even if I had wanted to--but because of her and others, I wanted to forge ahead. Amazing what wonderful things people can accomplish when there's no one around to criticize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was touched by your post. I was told by a writing teacher, in fact he told the entire college course titled Creative Writing that if any of us thought we were going to make it we should quit right then.
    I wanted to write more than I wanted to quit and even more I wanted to prove him wrong. I did not long after the class was over. I sold to a big city newspaper for "money."
    Thus I'm still at it and still being paid.
    This really hit home. We never want to quit. And people should never dash the dreams of another.
    Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment, Barb. You are so right--I've wondered what would have happened if the writing group coordinator had been more sensitive and more helpful. Would my friend have reworked her manuscript and then tried again? I'm hoping to encourage her to do just that and help her if she'll let me.... PS Sounds like your CW teacher never heard of positive thinking! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete